Preparing for your MRI
On the day of your appointment, follow your normal routine, including meals and any medications you require. (Because some make-ups contain metal particles, we ask that you do not wear heavy makeup.)
Plan to arrive at Sioux Falls Specialty Hospital one-half hour prior to your appointment, and allow one to two hours for the procedure to be completed. Please bring your medical insurance card with you (Note: We recommend you check with your insurance company ahead of time, to see if prior approval is required for your MRI procedure).
When you arrive at Sioux Falls Specialty Hospital, a staff member will go over the details of the procedure with you. You may be asked to change into a patient gown, so be sure to wear comfortable clothing you can change in and out of easily. A staff member will place personal items such as a purse, wallet, watch, car keys, etc. in a secure locker. For your own peace of mind, please leave valuable possessions at home.
In order to provide the best care possible, we will ask you questions about your medical history:
- Can you lie flat comfortably?
- Do you suffer from claustrophobia? If so, let your doctor know so he or she can arrange for medication to make the procedure more tolerable.
- Do you weigh less than 350 lbs?
- Are you pregnant? MRI scans are not recommended for pregnant women.
- Do you have any medical devices such as a cardiac pacemaker, cerebral aneurysm clips, metal implants, neurostimulators or hearing aids?
- Do you have any metal shrapnel in your body, metal fragments in your eyes or ever had metal particles removed from your eyes?
- Please bring a list of current medications you are taking along with the dosage.